Keeping your employees safe in the opioid epidemic
The opioid crisis is no longer just a crisis– it’s a full-blown epidemic. Opioid overdoses lead to more than 130 deaths every day in the U.S.1 That’s one death every 11 minutes. And for companies who want to take care of their employees and their families, the rise in drug misuse can be a concern on both a personal and a business level. Employees affected by an opioid addiction can not only bring productivity down, but also raise compensation claims and health care costs. So it's important to consider how you can help prevent opioid addiction in your workforce and provide the necessary support to those who might be affected.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2019, January). Opioid Overdose Crisis. https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-overdose-crisis#six
- Vowles, K. E. McEntee, M. L. Julnes, P. S. Frohe, T. Ney, J. P. van der Goes, D. N. (2015, April). Rates of opioid misuse, abuse, and addiction in chronic pain: a systematic review and data synthesis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25785523
- American Psychiatric Association. (2018, May 7). Nearly one in three people know someone addicted to opioids; more than half of millennials believe it is easy to get illegal opioids. https://www.psychiatry.org/newsroom/news-releases/nearly-one-in-three-people-know-someone-addicted-to-opioids-more-than-half-of-millennials-believe-it-is-easy-to-get-illegal-opioids
- White, J. A. Tao, X. Tairefa, M. Tower, J. Bernacki, E. (2012, August). The effect of opioid use on workers' compensation claim cost in the State of Michigan. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22821070
- Birnbaum, H.G. White, A. G., Schiller M., Waldman T., Cleveland J. M., Roland C. L. (2011, April 15). Societal Costs of Prescription Opioid Abuse, Dependence, and Misuse in the United States. https://academic.oup.com/painmedicine/article/12/4/657/1869828